Posted by Kyle Page on April 25, 2016
Last night I quickly feel asleep but was wide awake about an hour later. I got up out of bed and read from a devotional book I keep on my Kindle. Yesterday’s devotion started like this:
Children don’t know any better. They sing, they dance, they run with near reckless abandon. When did you cease to be childlike? Did the world sink its talons into you and steal away your innocence?
With age and maturation come the wrinkles of shame and timidity. Life hurts us, and we’ll not be so naïve as to let it happen again. Add to that the pressure of this world to look and act a certain way, and the idea of childlike faith – of working with the Holy Spirit to do something uncommon, of living a faith unguarded and free – seems a luxury we can no longer afford. (Longing for More: Daily Reflections on Finding God in the Rhythms of Life, Week Seven Day Two)
The experience of the last five years of being a father has shown me children don’t hold back their excitement or affection, they aren’t easily embarrassed. May God awaken this childlike confidence in us to boldly love God and live like life with Him is an adventure!
And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Matthew 18:2-4
A childlike faith...
- Is dependent on the Father
- Fills with humility
- Will be honored
- Gets excited to see the Father and what He is doing
- Aches to be with God more than anything
- Gives courage to follow
- Frees from embarrassment and shame
- Isn't afraid to dance and play and laugh
- Is full of rejoicing and happiness
- Expresses itself in love and sharing
- Awakens the wonder in the small things
- Gives hope that there really are new mercies every morning
- Trusts in what He has given for today
- Loves to hear His voice
- Sees beyond the challenges and hurts
- Feels safe and protected with the Father
- Runs to the Father's room, where He is, in the night
- Can't wait for more time with God
- Believes the Father has a plan
- Is confident
- Let's Abba pull him close for a big hug
Give us a childlike faith today...
Login/Register to leave a comment