A meeting was held March 20, 1916 by the Rev. A. G. Coker at the Green Brier School House. Sixteen people joined together with the help of Pleasant Point Baptist Church and Double Springs Baptist Church and established the Green Brier Baptist Church. A white frame building was built and dedicated July 7, 1918. Bro. T. J. Godbey was called as pastor, and the church was renamed Pleasant View Baptist Church.
Through some troubled times, the doors were closed, but in the early 1950’s the church was reorganized. Many pastors, including the late Bro. Marvin Combest, Bro. Denny Hardwick, and Bro. Charles Jenkins, have preached the Word of God.
In 1965, with Bro. Marshall Barlow as pastor, the congregation began work on a new brick building with a full basement; dedication was held on March 20, 1966. The building was completed, and the debt paid in full in 1970 with a note burning celebration on January 10, 1971. Bro. Barlow and Bro. Delbert Newsome spoke at this special service.
In 1972, with Bro. Tulley Turner as pastor, the church voted to build a baptistery, add a fellowship area, and finish the Sunday school rooms in the basement. This work was completed by the men of the church.
In 1975, with Bro. Mike Hill as pastor, land was purchased on Greenbriar Road and a church parsonage was built.
Bro. Vola Brown was called as pastor in July, 1979. The church voted to build a new sanctuary due to rapid growth. The men of the church began this project, and the first service in the new sanctuary was held in June, 1980.
Due to continued growth, the church voted to begin a three phase building program. The first phase was the construction of a west wing of the sanctuary and the purchase of eight acres of land in 1988. The second phase, the Story Educational Building named in honor of Glen Story, was dedicated on November 4, 1990. The third phase, an east wing of the sanctuary, was completed in 1992.
A new children’s program, Impact, was started under the direction of Bro. Ken Jewell. It continues today as GLOW and Ignite under the leadership of Stacy Story, our children’s minister. In 1995, Woman’s Missionary Union (WMU) was instrumental in establishing our current Hispanic Ministry.
A large open shelter with a kitchen and restrooms was constructed to provide for church fellowships. In 2006, additions were made to the shelter, including a worship center for the youth and Hispanic ministries. A walking track was built that same year in memory of Nicholas Foley.
Bro. Aaron Hogue was called to serve as pastor in May, 2004. He served as pastor for 4 years, and the church continued to grow.
Kyle Page was called to serve the church in July, 2011. Under his leadership, the church continues to emphasize the importance of prayer, personal disciplines, and missions. Our church has grown from the original 16 members to the present 862.
This is a congregation “Where everybody is somebody and Jesus Christ is Lord!” “Passion for God, Compassion for People” continues to be the motto for Pleasant View. God has given Pleasant View Baptist Church a “legacy of faithfulness”, and we are confident that His faithfulness will endure for generations.
Download our 100th year anniversary booklet here